Saturday, August 30, 2014

Will it rain in Alabaster this time?

For my backyard, this has been the driest summer in many years.  Only a little over an inch fell in July and I have only recorded a total of .8 inches of rain for the month of August.  The grass has gone dormant; Bob hasn't mowed at all this month.  The trees are dropping leaves, no flowers are blooming, the shrubbery is wilted and faded, not even the hardiest of native plants is thriving.  Although I have tried to water the gardens as much as I am able, there is no replacement for rain.   It is discouraging to walk through the backyard and I can't bring myself to photograph it.

Last weekend, there was rain in the forecast for central Alabama.  Several times throughout the weekend, the skies grew dark and the wind began to blow.  I would run to my computer to check the radar; it rained north of Alabaster, it rained south of Alabaster, it rained east of Alabaster, it rained west of Alabaster, but we didn't receive even a single drop of rain.

Once again, the forecasters are predicting significant chances of rain for central Alabama. I am hoping and praying that this time the rain will fall in my backyard.

1 comment: