Thursday, August 14, 2014

Cute, petite and delicious

My good friend, Clark Boyd, grew tomato starts for me this year because I was unable to do so.  He brought me several varieties I have never tried before.  One of the fun aspects of growing tomatoes is the infinite number of varieties to try so this was a terrific new opportunity in my garden.

My favorite has turned out to be the Rutgers tomato.  The tomatoes are on the smaller side, with a squatty, almost pumpkin like shape.  They have a mild flavor and work well for both slicing and cooking. The plants are vigorous producers.

The plant itself is what made it a winner for my garden.   My soil is infected with both early and late blight bacteria which wrecks havoc with the tomato plants.  The goal every year is to get a nice harvest before the blight completely destroys the plants.  The Rutgers tomato plants seem to be resistant to the blight.  While some of my other tomato plants are beginning to succumb to blight, the little Rutg
er tomatoes are still going strong. 

There will be Rutgers in my garden next year!  Thanks, Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment