Saturday, August 23, 2014

On angels' wings

I've learned that there are 1300 species of begonias and 10,000 cultivars!  This means it is going to be impossible to accurately identify the specific one I have growing in my backyard.

I received this plant as a cutting from a friend.  It seems to be a variety of angel wing begonia.  These begonias grow on cane-like stems with wing shaped leaves and pink-to-red drooping blooms.

I've never been very good at growing the more exotic-looking begonias.  I always seem to either drown them or starve them to death.  In all honesty, I was going to throw this one out in despair  . . . until it bloomed.  In spite of its leggy appearance, the blooms delicately suspended between this angel's wings bring joy to my heart.  

I'll keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment