Monday, August 25, 2014

Do you know what this is?

If you do,  you are probably of a "certain" age.  I found this one at a yard sale this past Saturday for only $1.   They were selling it cheaply because no one knew what it was or how to use it.

This is a vintage tomato strainer.  I tossed some tomatoes in a pot, boiled them down to a nice mush, and dumped them into the strainer.   After just a few minutes of stirring with the wooden mallet, the tasty pulp was secreted into my cake pan, leaving the skins and seeds behind in the basket.  I have 4 cups of awesome, fresh tomato sauce!

Sometimes, the old ways are the best ways!




2 comments:

  1. You got a good deal! Your vintage ricer is being offered on eBay for approx. $25! You can also make really smooth mashed potatoes (among other things) with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I love old kitchen gadgets--they work better than some of the "new" ones.

    ReplyDelete