Sunday, August 17, 2014

The vine that has re-purposed my deck

Garden view of the purple hyacinth bean vine
Planting the purple hyacinth bean vine on a trellis next to the deck seemed like a very good idea at the time.  I usually plant this vine on the chain link fence but I had purchased this cute metal trellis at a yard sale and I thought the hyacinth bean would look pretty growing along the side of our deck . . .  and if you are strolling through the back yard, it would appear that I was successful.  The vine gracefully curls around the trellis and up along the railings of the deck . . .

Deck view of the vine
BUT if you step out onto the deck from my back door, you will encounter an entirely different experience.  The purple hyacinth bean vine has engulfed the railings, the bench, and is at this writing, growing merrily onto the deck furniture.  Who knows how much more of the deck it will invade before the first frost arrives.

Purple hyacinth bean vine blooms
This deck-eating vine is worth it, however.  Butterflies and hummingbirds love these blooms and we now get to enjoy them up close since they are sharing the deck with us (and the vine).   The deep purple seed pods are just as pretty as the blooms, adding fabulous color to the late summer palette.

I may be seriously tempted to make this "mistake" again next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment