Monday, June 8, 2015

Yard sale surprise hydrangea

Last year I purchased a one gallon hydrangea from a yard sale.  I often purchase plants this way as it appeals to my naturally frugal nature.  All the plants at this yard sale were very healthy and appeared to be labeled correctly (which isn't always the case).

My hydrangea was labeled as a "pink, lace cap" variety.   It had two small, pink blooms at the time.  I planted it in the center of a newly started shade garden that is anchored by a corkscrew willow, a Japanese maple, and a fuju persimmon.   With so much drama framing the bed, the center shrub needs to be something with "pop."

While the shrub is growing well and covered with blooms, I was disappointed to discover that the blooms are sort of lacy, but not "flat" as I thought they would be and they are snow white, seriously lacking that pop of drama I was looking for. 

I need to learn more about hydrangeas before I make my purchases.  It turns out that "lace cap" doesn't always mean "flat" blooms.  The good news is that as my blooms age over the next weeks, they are going to turn pink.  

My coloring-changing hydrangea will provide just the "pop" of excitement my new shade garden needs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment