Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Thirty-four shades of green

One of the most beautiful beds in my gardens rarely has any blooming flowers. 

I dug up this bed about 13 years ago when I was feeling stressed (I tend to dig when I'm stressed).  Nothing really grew in this dark space between the oak tree and our house so it seemed like a good place to start digging.  It has taken a long time to mature but this garden is amazing.  It is filled with texture:  glossy, fuzzy, bumpy, and ribbed.  There are hundreds of shapes and sizes ranging from tiny fern leaflets to giant heucheras.  Everywhere you look there is another shade of green.  Some shades are nearly white and others are such dark purples that the green is barely noticeable. 

Occasionally there are flowers blooming.  During these early days of summer, the wild petunias are waving their heads along the edges of the garden.  During winter, the lenten roses glow in pastel green and as summer heats up, there will be crepe myrtle blooms dancing overhead. 

Just for fun this morning, I counted 34 shades of green in this small garden.  Why would anyone want  fifty shades of gray?



No comments:

Post a Comment