Sunday, June 21, 2015

I've been robbed!!

My blueberry bushes have been stripped of all the ripening berries!   Even though I didn't not observe the perpetrators, I know who they are.  Only birds would be so incredibly thorough.

The blueberry crop has been excellent this year.  I've been picking 3-4 cups of exceptionally large and sweet berries every other day.

The last two years, my bird deterrent system of fishing line, shiny dvds, waving strips of cloth and noisy wind chimes has been extremely effective.  Apparently, the birds have overcome their fears. 

This afternoon, I added a second, larger (and noisier) wind chime.  Tomorrow morning, I will add a significant amount of fishing line.  Perhaps, the birds will leave me a few more blueberries.

  

2 comments:

  1. How is the fishing line used? I totally get the rest of the items you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tied fishing line to poles and the fences behind my bushes, from which I hang the other things. This morning, I add a lower row of line and did some cris-crossing lines over the top of the shrubs. The fishing line does not show up in photos. Studies have shown that many bird species will not fly through or around fishing line or narrow wire. I think my culprits are the brown thrashers and mocking birds; hopefully more "scary" stuff will deter them.

    ReplyDelete