Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Exotic Alabama

In 1609 a monk in Europe was writing a treatise on the crucifixion of Christ.  One of his fellow monks from the newly discovered world of Mexico drew him a picture of of flower from his native land that reminded him of the suffering of Jesus.  The monk was awed by the sketch but struggled with the idea that such an exotic flower could truly exist.  Eventually, he included the flower and the meaning he deduced from its features into his treatise.  From that time forward, this plant has been known as the "passion flower." 

The first time I saw this flower, it was growing up a tree in a woodland margin.  I noticed a huge lavender flower in the vines growing up a tree.  It was absolutely stunning.  Like the priest in 1609, I could not believe that anything so exotic could just be growing on vine in central Alabama.  I've seen them since, growing in hay fields and on old fences.

My friend, Karen, has them growing in her garden and she graciously gave me a baby passion flower vine several years ago.  It politely spreads, so I've incorporated a passion flower vine into several of my flower beds.  It grows the happiest on the chain link fence under a tree.  This year, that particular vine is covered with buds; I love the idea that this exotic vine belongs in my backyard.

Here is what the monk, Jacomo Basio saw when he looked at the bloom of the passion flower vine.  The corona represents the crown of thorns; the 10 petals/sepals represent the 10 apostles that did not betray Jesus; the five anthers represent the five wounds of Christ; the three stigma reminded him of the nails the held Jesus to the cross.  The pointed leaves remind him of the spear that pierced Jesus' side and the vine's tendrils represent the scourges.

No comments:

Post a Comment