Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Help, please

These pretty flowers mysteriously appeared in my rain garden this spring.  Although I do forget that I've planted things, I'm quite sure I did not plant this one because I would never plant something on the berm.  I have no clue how they got here.

I have searched Google Images for several days with using various descriptions with no success. 

So, I'm asking for help.  Each plant is a single stem, about 8 inches tall.  The leaves are approximately 2 inches in length and have a slightly scratchy texture.  The flower clusters are similar to a lantana in size and shape.  Do you know what this is?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Brenda... Looks like Verbena to me. There are many different varieties. I think this is one of the more common.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, I am certainly no expert and do not know what this is. However, I think that it resembles my lily-of-the valley. The height, the leaf shape and the clusters of flowers. Just a thought....maybe related species?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I still don't have a definite identification on this flower, but it may possibly be a variety of verbena. My plan is to let it go to seed, and see what happens next year.

    ReplyDelete