Thursday, June 12, 2014

Ready for the birds

Birds are welcome in my backyard, most of the time, but there is one corner in my backyard where birds are not welcome right now--my blueberry bushes!

This year's blueberry crop is extremely heavy.  They like a cold winter which I'm sure has contributed to the abundance.  However, I do not like to share my blueberries with the birds.

This has been an ongoing battle.  First, I tried rubber snakes.  The birds were not in the least bit intimidated.  The following year I draped them in leftover wedding tulle.  The birds just hopped up underneath the tulle and had their feast without fear of predators.

Last year, I finally found a method that seems to deter them.  Many birds do not like fishing line so I use a fishing line barrier to keep English sparrows out of my bird feeder (a story for another day).  I decided to try it on the blueberry bushes.  I stretch fishing line across the tops of the bushes to stakes and the fence.  Just to give a little extra insurance, I move one of my wind chimes there and add strips of fabric and some sparkley yard art to the fishing line. 

Last year this technique worked like a charm.   The blueberries are starting to mature--I'm ready for the birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment