Thursday, June 26, 2014

Five best reasons to become a Master Gardener

When I "retired" from my last full time job, I decided to take the Master Gardener course.  I have always loved to garden but I killed a lot of plants.  I figured this would be a good way to make some progress on my not-so-successful hobby.  Little did I know that becoming a Master Gardener is also a life changing event.  The Shelby County Master Gardener classes are being offered again, beginning on August 6, 2014.  Here are my five best reasons why you should become a Master Gardener with me.

5.  Master Gardeners like to share plants with one another.  I have plants in my garden that I could never afford or even find except through my MG friends.

4.  Master Gardeners get opportunities to tour private gardens and nurseries that I would have never seen any other way.

3.  As a Master Gardener, I am a volunteer assistant to the Extension Service.  My certification gives me the opportunity and skills to help others with their gardens.

2.  The Master Gardener training is fantastic.   The textbook is filled with useful information.  I actually had to buy a second large binder to contain all the additional information the instructors brought to my classes.   Many of the instructors are college professors and experts in their subjects.  Some of these subjects include:  fruits, soils, propagation, landscape design, weeds/pesticides, annuals and perennials.    Every year, I have additional opportunities to learn from more wonderful MG instructors.

1.  The best reason to become a Master Gardener is that I have made lifetime friends through this class that I cherish.  These friends not only share my love of gardening, but they have become the friends I walk through life with. 

To learn more about the Shelby County Master Gardener Association, check out this website:  www.shelbycountymastergardenersassoc.com

To apply for the Master Gardener classes beginning in August:
http://www.aces.edu/mg/be_a_master.php
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1155/ANR-1155.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment