Sunday, June 1, 2014

Pitiful peas

This spring was anything but typical around my backyard.  Winter was long and cold so spring was slow to come.   My gardening friends and I estimate that spring was delayed by 2-3 weeks this year as it took longer for the soil temperature to warm up sufficiently to germinate seed and sustain new growth.  Summer, on the other hand, arrived right on time.  This was fine for the summer season plants but the spring plants were a bit overwhelmed by the sudden and (for them) unexpected heat wave.

My English pea "crop" suffered the most from this weather pattern.  Germination was low and just about the time that the plants began forming flowers and peas, summer's heat arrived to bake the vines.   I picked enough peas for one small serving for each of us.

I had some excellent help shelling them from our youngest granddaughter, Olivia.  She has just turned two so she loves "helping."  Shelling peas with Grandpa was great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment