Monday, June 23, 2014

A case of mistaken identity

My husband and I have been watching the BBC Sherlock series.  We love figuring out who "did it" as well as enjoying the 21st century version of Sherlock Holmes.

This week I had a mystery of my own to solve in my backyard.   Many years ago I purchased a "domesticated" version of an oakleaf hydrangea.  The label at the garden center said it was a "Snowflake" hydrangea.  The shrub has become the specimen feature of its garden area with huge white blossoms that begin as a delicate green, mature to shining white through the summer and dry to a lovely golden brown in the fall. 

Snowflake oakleaf hydrangea
A few years after I purchased it, I learned that the Snowflake oakleaf hydrangea was bred and developed by the Aldridge family of Hoover.  I was thrilled to discover that my shrub was not only a native to Alabama but native to my own community. 

This past week, while preparing to write a blog post, I decided to research the history of Mr. Aldridge and his famous hydrangea.  You can imagine my shock when I saw a photo of a Snowflake hydrangea blossom.  My hydrangea looked nothing like it!   So, what IS growing in my backyard???

My Harmony oakleaf hydrangea
Plants do get labeled incorrectly on occasion.  Garden centers have thousands of plants coming through their facilities.  Sometimes the tag from the grower is incorrect, sometimes the garden center mislabels one, and sometimes a customer moves a tag and the garden center doesn't notice the error.  It just happens.

I still wanted to know what is growing in my backyard so back to the internet I went, searching images of oakleaf hydrangea varieties, eagerly looking for a blossom that matches mine.    I believe what is gracing my garden is called "Harmony" oakleaf hydrangea, a variety recognized for its huge, dense blooms, that are often so large that their supporting branch tips over.  

The case is solved.  Sherlock would be proud.


2 comments:

  1. Could b an Annabelle hydrangea. or a harmony. I'm not too educated on hydrangeas. You take beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Master Gardener, Bill Legg has confirmed that my oakleaf hydrangea is indeed a Harmony. Harmony Oak Leaf Hydrangea are the offspring of a hydrangea found growing at the Harmony Baptist Church in north Alabama. I also have an Annabelle, which looks nothing like either the Snowflake or the Harmony. So many hydrangeas, and not enough space to grow them!

    ReplyDelete