Saturday, June 21, 2014

Blue in not enough

The blueberry season is bursting all over.   The flyover barriers seem to be working.  Every other morning, I pick between five and seven cups of blueberries.  Picking blueberries is challenging for me because I have learned that I shouldn't pick them when they turn blue.  I have to wait another day until they are not only blue but swollen with sugar to nearly twice their size from when they initially turn blue.  It is so hard to resist picking a blueberry too soon.  It just isn't enough for the berry to be blue, it must also be fat! 

Berries on the right were picked too soon.
Here is the south we grow a native rabbit-eye blueberry that doesn't require as much cold in the winter.  However, it is quite clear from my amazing crop of blueberries that even rabbit-eye blueberry bushes enjoy a colder winter. 

I don't can and have only limited freezer space so I'm eating blueberries for breakfast, toss them on my salad at lunch and will be making blueberry deserts for the next few weeks.  It's a good thing that I love blueberries!

No comments:

Post a Comment