Monday, August 12, 2013

Surprise! Surprise!

Last fall I picked up some seeds at our annual Shelby County Master Gardener seed swap that were labeled "Texas Star."  I had no idea what they could possibly be and when I looked up the name on the internet, I picked up a wide variety of plants and flowers that go by that name so there was no telling what I really had.

The seeds germinated easily and I planted the seedlings in a mostly shady spot because that is where I had space for them.  That first summer, they grew to be about 12 inches tall and didn't bloom. 

This spring as I was cleaning up for planting, I noticed new growth at the base of the bare stems of those strange "Texas Stars" so I gave them a second chance.  This summer they seemed a little taller and sturdier and I could see that they were leaning pretty hard toward what sun they could get.  I knew then that I needed to move them to a sunnier spot and determined that I would give them another season before disposing of them for being non-performers.

Then I visited the garden of some friends who also had picked up some of those seeds at the same plant swap.  Oh my!  Murry and Wayne's "Texas Stars" were six FEET tall and had HUGE red blooms! 

This week, my poor, badly planted Texas Star Hibiscus started blooming, even in the shade.  They are stunning!  What a lovely surprise--I can't wait to move them into the sun next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment