Saturday, August 31, 2013

Sort of Obedient Plant

If you really like perfect symmetry, then this is the plant for you.  The stem is square and the leaves march in perfect order down the length of the perfectly vertical stems.  Even the flowers match up in perfect rows.

I like this plant because it is a perennial native to Alabama and once it is established it grows completely on its own, requiring no assistance from me.  The long-blooming flowers are a gorgeous addition to my late summer garden.

Flowers in their natural formation
According to one of my sources, the reason this plant is called "obedient" is that you can re-arrange the flowers on the stalk and they will stay.  I tried this out and it works
. . . for about three hours . . . it reminds me of certain children who will agree to do a task, but three hours later, there is no evidence of any task being completed.  They are obedient . . . sort of.
Re-arranged flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment