Sunday, August 18, 2013

Pea patch

I'm not from the south originally but I married a fabulous southern gentleman (us northern girls know a good thing when we find one).  One of the consequences of this "mixed marriage" is a total disconnect when it comes to some foods.

One of those total miscommunications surrounds the meaning of the word, "pea."   For me, a pea is a sweet, bright green vegetable that is eaten either raw or cooked, included in salads and casseroles for color and sweetness.  To my precious husband, a pea comes in a wide variety of colors, sizes, and flavors and is always boiled with lots of pork, preferably bacon. 

Ever since I started to garden my husband has asked me to grow "peas" for him.  Of course, my first attempt to grow peas turned out to be the wrong peas (which don't grow well in Alabama in the summer) so we were both very disappointed.

I have repeatedly attempted to grow southern "peas" without success--not because the peas wouldn't grow but because they weren't the "right" ones.  I was completely baffled by all the choices and poor Bob had no idea what kind of peas his grandmother grew and fixed for them when he was a child; he just knew how they should taste.

This year I tried "pink hull peas" and I am reporting success!  May you enjoy your version of "peas" wherever you garden!



No comments:

Post a Comment