Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Moonlight madness

I am a morning gardener.  I love watching the sun rise and heading outdoors as soon as possible to see what is happening in my gardens.  I am busy tending my human family during the evenings so I almost never garden then.

However, there is one night-blooming, flowering vine that is a "must have" for me--moonflower!   I always plant a few of them on the chain link fence outside my kitchen window. 

One very important benefit is that
the vigorous vines quickly hide the less than attractive chain links.  Those vines not only cover the fence but everything growing nearby and then start running across the lawn.  The other reason I plant them in this location is so that as the sun starts to set each summer evening, I can look out my kitchen window to see the most amazing flower show in the backyard--huge, six-inch plus, white flowers that positively glow in the evening light.

On the rare occasion that I go out to check on them, the fragrance fills the air with sweet perfume.   The garden is not complete without moonflowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment