Saturday, August 3, 2013

Grateful for rain?

About five years ago, we experienced a significant drought here in central Alabama.  For three years, we suffered from a severe lack of rainfall.  We watched our lawns turn crispy brown, trees and shrubbery died, and even drought tolerant plants struggled to survive.  Communities restricted watering and we all looked for creative ways to water our gardens. 

During those days, we often prayed for rain.  We looked longingly for any dark cloud in the sky.  I promised God that if He would send us rain again, I would never complain about a rainy day again.

This year, I must confess, I have come very close to breaking my promise to God.  It has rained so frequently that I have only used my soaker hoses once this summer.   There are parts of my yard that have taken on a bog-like consistency.   I'm considering calling powdery mildew a "plant" that I'm cultivating this year. 

Of course, I am truly grateful for the rain.  I say that I grow my gardens, but the reality is that I'm only the caretaker.  Only God can provide the rain and the sunshine that my gardens require to grow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment