Thursday, March 6, 2014

Spring is officially here

I don't care what the calendar says or the thermometer reads, when my little crocuses bloom, spring has arrived.

Every plant in my garden has a story and my purple crocuses are no exception.  After we had lived here for more than ten years, I was strolling across the yard and noticed some bright "grass" growing up through the dead turf in late February.  Upon closer examination I realized that these bright green blades could not possibly be grass.  I grabbed a trowel and popped up the sod to see what was growing underneath it.  There were three or four small bulbs attached to those blade-like leaves.  Not knowing what they were
, I planted them near my front steps.  Nothing bloomed that spring, but the following spring (when I had forgotten all about them) three dark purple crocus blossoms magically appeared next to the front steps.  They spread a little more each spring.

When the crocuses bloom, I know that winter will soon be over.  I don't think I have ever been as pleased to see them bloom as I have this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment