Friday, March 14, 2014

Not quite off my soap box yet

The other day, as I was driving through my neighborhood, I noticed a landscape company working at a local pool.  In addition to chopping up the crape myrtles, they were using electric hedge trimmers to "shape" up the privacy hedge trying to grow around the perimeter of the property. 

This privacy hedge is made up of closely planted elaeagnus shrubs.  While elaeagnus would not be my shrub of choice it does grow quickly, is evergreen so it provides year round privacy, and grows thorn-like leaves which would greatly discourage anyone wishing to take a short cut onto the pool property. 

Before pruning at my house
When the landscape company had completed their project, the elaeagnus was reduced to a thicket of sticks with a few random leaves--not a pretty sight.  Because it was hard-pruned in this way, the shrubs are going to immediately start directing their energy into growing new branches.  This species will do it by growing four to six foot long whips in just a matter of a few weeks.

After pruning at my house
If the purpose of the landscape company was to create neatly shaped hedges, that orderly, sculptured look (although merely a twiggy thicket) will completely vanish.  If the purpose of the landscape company was to reduce the height/area of the hedge, this purpose will have also been defeated by the elaeagnus before the pool season even begins.   The pool owners will either have to put up with a wild hedge or bring the landscape company back to re-cut it.

Why do people wack their shrubbery with electric hedge trimmers???  There is absolutely no benefit to this method of pruning.   With the exception of boxwood (which we don't grow much
Before pruning at my house
around here) there are no shrubs that respond well to this kind of treatment.   Scalped shrubs are not attractive and the new growth rapidly distorts the "nice" shape.

After pruning at my house
I just pruned my shrubs this week.  Although I am not a professional, I am smart enough to learn how to do it correctly.   My front foundation plants are loropetalum.  They grow vigorously and I need to trim them once a year to keep them off my walls and below my windows.  This is an easy task.  I take a hand pruner and clip off the long branches that have grown too tall for my taste.  They should be clipped back to where they attach to the main shrub or back to a new branch that is growing in a "better" direction for my purposes.

This entire project took about 30 minutes (less time than the electric hedge trimmer), my shrubs still look lovely, and they will continue to do so all year.  Anyone can learn to prune a shrub.

If I don't get of my soap box soon, we will all be drowning in the suds.   

No comments:

Post a Comment