Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Getting started on 2014

Depending on your perspective, I am frugal and thrifty or a hopelessly cheap tightwad.  This character trait (or flaw) also applies to my gardening habits.   My goal is always to garden with a minimal dollar budget.

Being frugal means "always thinking ahead" so now is the time for me to start working on next year's gardens. 

The most important project in the fall for me is to prepare cuttings from expensive annuals.   When I make my initial purchases,  I always choose annuals that are easy to propagate.  The goal is to only purchase a particular plant one time.

If a plant is the type that will grow roots from its leaf nodes, propagation by cutting is easy.  Simply cut a healthy, 4-5 inch stem near a node, cut off all but the top leaves, and if those leaves are large, cut them in half to maximize plant energy going to root production.  I like to dip the cut stem in a little rooting hormone but it really isn't necessary if you don't want to spend the money on it (cheap, cheap, cheap).  I use fine compost for rooting but a nice potting soil will work too.  Poke a hole in the soil with a stick first so the stem is not damaged when you insert
it in the soil.  Set the stem deeply so that at least one node is covered.  Keep the soil moist and wait.  Some plants will root within days, others can take up to two months.  You will know the plant is rooted when the stem resists a gentle tug and the plant begins growing new leaves.

My favorites to propagate in this way are mosquito plant, coleus, wax begonia, lantana, euphorbias,  and sweet potato vine.  You can also use this method on some shrubs and roses but woody stems are trickier, requiring more time and attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment