Thursday, October 17, 2013

Best of show

Some of the best plants in my garden are the unexpected surprises that come from gifted plants and seeds.

Last fall I picked up a plant labeled as "turks cap lily" at a swap.   The first summer it looked sweet, with goofy little red flowers that never quite opened.  This year it grew into a loose-growth shrub and has been covered with those delightful red flowers all summer long.  It is STILL blooming.

Of course, I was not satisfied to merely enjoy my silly bush.  It was time to do some research to find out what is growing in my backyard.

Right away, I learned that this plant is not a lily or even a turk's cap lily.  This is a perennial shrub that is native to the southeastern United States and although one of its many common names is "turk's cap,"  this plant is really a hibiscus.  Its petals just don't unfurl.  For those who are interested, its Latin name is "malvariscus arboreus."  (I like "turk's cap" better.)

The flowers are actually edible, with a sweet taste similar to honeysuckle blossoms.  I found one

blogger who posted a photo of turk's cap blossoms as a topping for pancakes!  They also produce a berry that is supposed to make good preserves.  My shrub hasn't produced any berries yet.

Butterflies also love my turk's cap shrub.  They just add to the glorious show.  This shrub definitely wins "best of show" in my garden this year!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even see the butterfly until I finished the article and took a closer look at the images.

    ReplyDelete