Sunday, October 26, 2014

Rootstock rose

One of the casualties of the previous winter was my Don Juan climbing rose.  When it was time for spring clean up, I discovered that the graft had died and rotted away.  There was new growth from the rootstock but I didn't know what kind of roses  would bloom from those canes; grafts are made on rootstock that is soil hardy, but not necessarily attractive plants or blooms. 

On the advice of Master Gardener rosarian, Paul Saeger, my intention was to dig and discard that rose bush, but I got busy and then the summer was dry.  (I don't dig in the dry soil in my backyard since it is high in limestone and clay--read "concrete.")   That rootstock rose just kept quietly growing canes on the trellis.

While out in my gardens enjoying the fall blooms this week, I noticed a huge red rose peeking out from the lush overgrowth of moonflower vines that were running rampant over the climbing rose trellis.  That rootstock has produced a velvety red, fragrant rose on a climbing cane that rivals the Don Juan rose for which it was originally just intended to provide root support. 

I'll be keeping my "Rootstock" rose.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete