Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Parsley or Butterflies

The other day I was making a fancy tuna casserole that called for a fourth cup of parsley.   I grabbed my garden scissor and skipped down the back steps to my herb garden to cut a handful of fresh parsley, except there wasn't any parsley!  The few remaining sprigs were being devoured by four very healthy looking caterpillars.

In years past, I have grown parsley and fennel in multiple places in the garden so that the eastern black swallowtails and I could share it, but this year I was a little lazy and only planted it in the herb garden.

There is no way I'm going to deprive the butterflies of their baby nursery so I made the recipe without parsley.  When the caterpillars move on to make their chrysalis, the parsley will grow back for me.  Butterflies and their offspring are always welcome in my backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment