Sunday, May 18, 2014

First potatoes

I'm not a terrific vegetable farmer and my official vegetable garden is pretty small.   Since the space is small, I grow multiple crops in the same spot.   With spring arriving later this year and summer getting under way right on time, my spring garden has been rushed. 

This past week, I was forced to dig up one third of my potato patch to make room for my tomato plants.  I knew they would be small, but every fresh potato from the garden is a good one, regardless of size.

I boiled the tiniest of the crop--less than an inch in diameter--and served them with nutmeg/lemon butter.  They just melted in our mouths.

Today, I used the "big" ones to make a tender potato salad for our church's potluck lunch.  I used rose buds/parsley as a garnish.  It was just as pretty as it was delicious. 

The rest of the potatoes will need to come up soon because the summer peas will want to be planted soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment