Saturday, May 3, 2014

Alabama's native magnolia

Those fabulous huge evergreen Southern Magnolia's are not really southern trees.  Like many of our favorites, it is actually an Asian import.

However, there is a native magnolia in our area that is incredibly beautiful in my Alabama landscape.  I've seen this tree growing in the woods in both central and northern Alabama.  It is a small tree with huge impact.  It's leaves are two feet long (yes, I mean "feet") and its spring blossoms are more than ten inches in diameter.  This true southern magnolia is deciduous,  loves acidic or neutral soil, and good drainage.  It is happiest in the understory  with dappled shade. 

My magnolia is a magnolia ashei.  This year I'm going to have two blossoms.  My little tree is still looking more like a perennial shrub right now but she is growing and will one day be a show stopper in my backyard.

2 comments:

  1. I purchased mine from a whole sale nursery that occasionally sells to the public by appointment only. However, native plants are growing in popularity and you may be able to find one in local garden center (as opposed to a chain store).

    ReplyDelete