Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Wild about wild petunias

Some of my favorite flowers come from ditches.  When I walk or ride (car or horse) down small roads and streets, I always pay attention to what is growing in the ditches.  Amid the weeds, grass, and trash there are always wildflowers thriving in the mess. 

Much to the embarrassment of my husband and friends, I will stop to rescue a wildflower specimen for my garden.  Those ditch flowers are extremely hardy, exactly the characteristic I am looking for.

Many years ago, I introduced wild petunias to my front garden.  I chose to plant mine in the filtered shade because that is the environment from which I rescued it.  While it has reseeded and spread gently throughout the garden, it has definitely migrated over to the sunnier side of the flower bed, interspersing itself in the liriope border. 


I hope to capture some seeds in order to transfer it to my sunnier gardens in the backyard.  I love observing the way the garden naturally redesigns itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment