Sunday, June 10, 2018

Gardens are my heritage

Some of my earliest memories are from my Grandma's garden.  My grandparents were so poor that they still didn't have plumbing in their home and electricity was a new addition to their home.  In spite of her challenging existence, my grandma created beauty in her home and in her gardens with lovely flowers.  While I'm sure she grew others, the flowers I remember as a preschooler were the snap dragons into which I would poke my fingers to be "bitten" by the dragon mouths, and the gladiolas which towered above my tiny stature.

Snap dragons are a winter flower in Alabama and even then I don't have much success growing them.  However the gladiola bulbs from my grandmother's last garden have thrived in Alabama and cross polinated with the other varieties I've purchased.  They have spread themselves across the sunny spots in my backyard.

Of course, now that I'm grown, they no longer tower over my head, but they remind me of the glad days of my gardening heritage in my grandmother's backyard.


No comments:

Post a Comment