Sunday, March 11, 2018

It's official

It is difficult to determine the beginning of spring in central Alabama because we have plants that thrive and bloom all year long.  The daffodils often begin blooming in January which is definitely not springtime.  I've been enjoying the early bloomers for several weeks now, even though frost is a common morning event and it could still snow in the right (or wrong) circumstances.

For me, it is the spring woodland flowers that are the true harbingers of spring:  trillium, trout lilies, rue anemone, wild geranium, and wood violets.  I've been watching them bud out for the last week and I'm pleased to announce that spring has officially arrived. 

For the next month, my backyard will be bursting with energy as the perennials begin their spring show and prepare for another glorious summer.  Everyday, a stroll through the garden will reveal something new and lovely.  I am SO excited to see what each day will bring this spring.




No comments:

Post a Comment