Sunday, July 23, 2017

The strange saga of the off-season satsumas

October satumas
I wrote about the strange off-season satsuma bloom last fall.  The satsuma tree bloomed in the spring on schedule but didn't produce a single fruit; my theory was that the previous year the tree had been heavily infested with white flies and the stress of the insects combined with the strong chemicals I used to kill them interfered with the following fruiting season.   Much to my surprise, the tree bloomed again in the fall and produced three viable satsumas. 

July satsumas
I had no idea whether they would survive the winter or whether they would ripen at all but I carefully babied them through the winter, watching over them diligently as they continued to grow through the spring while the tree blossomed, producing a new crop of about 30 satsumas.

Ready to eat in July
They grew to about twice the size of a normal satsuma before finally ripening.  I decided to pick them this week, at the earliest ripening stage of pale yellow because no matter how interesting these off season oranges are, I don't want anything to hinder the development of this fall's crop.

When I peeled them, I discovered that the satsuma itself was a normal size, it was just the peeling that had grown extraordinarily thick.  The fruit was the correct shade of orange but it wasn't quite as sweet as a typical fall-harvested satsuma. 

It was a curious and strange event.  I'm looking forward to my normal crop of sweet satsumas late this fall.



No comments:

Post a Comment