Monday, July 10, 2017

I just might . . .

Since writing about the redwood tree in our neighborhood, I have more fascinating information that I feel compelled to share.

It turns out that this tree is a Dawn Redwood, purchased from a nursery in Alabama about 40 years ago.  Armed with that information, I hit the internet looking for more information on this redwood tree that clearly thrives in our Alabama climate.

Fossil evidence of what became known as Dawn Redwood is found in most areas of north America but was thought to be extinct until an intrepid explorer in the mountains of China discovered thriving dawn redwoods.  Since their rediscovery in the early 1940s, dawn redwoods have been propagated and re-established in their old American habitats.

Alabama is about as far south as this redwood will grow but once established, it can handle any type of soil, is drought resistant, and will grow as much as five feet per year.  It may top out at 120 feet when full grown so it is much smaller than its California Sequoia cousins.

Seedlings are readily available from internet suppliers for less than $20.  I intend to shop around at nurseries to see if larger saplings available locally.

Since losing my silver maple, I've been having a hard time adjusting to the blistering hot sun in my gardens.  I might just want to see if I can grow one of these amazing trees in my own backyard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment