Friday, June 9, 2017

I'm ready!

After laying around in the backyard for two years, my rain barrel is finally doing its job.  I was given the barrel, used a reclaimed spigot, purchased a yard sale strainer (25 cents) for mosquito protection, and mounted it on reclaimed bricks from the remodel  of our front porch. 

The total cost of this project included the help of a handy neighbor and some muscle from my sweet husband. 

We were in business just in time for the rainy weather that moved through our area this past weekend.  I was shocked and amazed to discover that that rain barrel was completely full after just 1/2 inch of rain in the rain gauge.  The gutter that fills it only drains one side of our garage.  It is hard to imagine just how much rain water flows off our entire roof every time it rains!

My intention is to use this water for my container gardens which use the bulk of my hose watering each summer.  I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment