Sunday, June 4, 2017

Bumper crop of garlic

Was it the mild winter or the summer drought that produced this bumper crop of garlic?  This year's crop yielded about 1/3 more bulbs than usual, six of them being of exceptional size.

I brought garlic corms to my garden from my grandmother Etta's garden in Florida over 20 years ago.  I wasn't sure where I wanted my garlic patch to be so I just stuck them in the ground in a flower bed.  What I didn't know about garlic is that once you plant it in a particular location it will establish itself firmly and no amount of careful digging will remove it.  There is always that one little corm that drops off the garlic bulb back into the soil to grow for next year.  As a result of my attempts to find just the "right" location, we now have a little bit of garlic growing in nooks and crannies all over the back yard.

Of course, I am pleased with my garlic crop no matter how it came to be.  Everything tastes better when cooked with a little garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment