Saturday, January 28, 2017

Pam, we have orchids!

Several years ago, my good friend and gardening inspiration, Pam, brought me a collection of propagations from her gardens in North Carolina.  Among them was a tiny little sprig from one of her orchids.

I am horrible at growing orchids, probably I try too hard.  Because it was a gift from a dear friend, I determined that I was NOT going to kill this one.  I've carefully neglected its care; keeping it outside during the summer months, only fertilizing it in the winter when it was indoors, and transplanting it a couple of times as it grew. 

The poor little plant has endured much at my hands.  It has been pulled out of its pot by children and critters, once it fell off a pedestal which shattered its container.  It was probably on the ground for several days before I noticed it and repotted it once again.

When I brought it in for the winter last month, I noticed it had some funny bumps on one of the stems.  It took me a couple of days to realize that those four lumpy things were buds (you can sigh loudly here, Pam).

The buds opened this week; they are shockingly pink, the perfect flower for dreary winter days!

Thank you, Pam.  I love you!



3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I have one from my kids that I hate to lose but it has not bloomed in over a year since its original blooms. Guess I'm trying too hard as well. The only thing I haven't done is repot it which I feel fairly certain it needs. Any advice on re-planting procedure particularly planting medium?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not an orchid expert but I have friends who are. They say that orchids prefer a well-drained medium of partially decomposed leaves/bark, instead of potting soil. Because they grow in a nutrient deprived environment, they like humidity and regular fertilizing. I use a liquid fertilizer formulated for orchids. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you have enjoyed this for foray into Orchid growing and I wish you much continued success. It seems to me that you have done all the right things even the best orchid growers I know have a pot to fall and bust and they do just as you, pick it up, repot it and hope for the best and usually they come through. After all tree limbs fall from trees all the time and they're orchids go with them only to live and prosper.

    ReplyDelete