Tuesday, December 6, 2016

And we have rain

The beginning of December has been wet and gloomy and chilly . . . and I am SO happy!!  My gardens seem to be smiling, and I'm pretty sure I have heard the sound of singing in the rain too.

The long term consequences of the drought are yet to be seen.  One of my drought victims has been my topsy turvy echeveria. 

The birds in my backyard discovered that eating succulents was a terrific way to get a drink when all their usual sources of water dried up.  It looked like I was serving a buffet on my back deck. Had I a faster camera to capture these meals, the photos would have been hysterically funny. 

This is how a topsy turvy echeveria is supposed to look.
This is what my topsy turvy looks like following several months of feeding the song sparrows and cardinals.  I don't mind, this one will grow back next year.





 

2 comments:

  1. I too was very glad to see/hear the rain. We've had wild fires here in North Carolina that were doing a great deal of damage to homes and property. The rain is just what we needed to stop the fires.

    I keep a dog bowl of water outside my greenhouse for the squirrels and birds. I have a birdbath on my deck and one on my front porch as well. This keeps them from destroying my succulents. One year the squirrels barely left me enough of my Jade to restart it. Fortunately I was able to start back two small pieces and one of them lives inside my house year round to keep it away from the squirrels. This taught me a very valuable lesson about the damage cute rodents can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep bird baths and water bowls all around my property. However, there was apparently something delicious about the topsy turvy. Squirrels, on the other hand are just rats with fuzzy tails and I don't make any accommodations for them.

      Delete