Monday, October 3, 2016

When everything seems dead

It is official--we are experiencing a drought.  A map of central Alabama shows that my backyard seems to be one of the areas suffering the severest lack of rainfall.  Of course, I didn't need an official proclamation or a map to tell me that my backyard is a dried up mess. 

Most of my plants are very hardy perennials so even though my gardens look miserable at the moment, spring (and rain) will come and they will grow green once again. 

I do water my perennial containers, however.  They are mainly tropicals that will come into the house or the cold frame for the winter. 

One of my bromelids bloomed this week.  Seeing its bright red flower stalk was like a drink of cool water in a desert.  I never know when the bromelids will bloom; God knew that I needed to smile during these dry, dusty days.

No comments:

Post a Comment