Saturday, October 15, 2016

Doing the best we can

The drought in central Alabama continues.  It means that most of my gardens are going dormant much sooner than normal.  Most of my plants are tough, southern perennials so I know that they will survive this dry spell, but strolling through my backyard is rather depressing these days.

However, there are two plants in my backyard that are refusing to let the drought conditions hold them down.  The New England asters are blooming with abandon, although the blooms are a little smaller than when they are receive normal rainfall. 

The flamboyant naked ladies came up right on schedule regardless of the fact that they haven't been watered in over a month.  The stalks are a little shorter and like the asters, the bloom are a little smaller than normal. 

I'm proud of my little flowers that just keep on doing the best they can with what they have.


1 comment: