Tuesday, June 14, 2016

What a difference a day makes

Rootbeer plant, yesterday
It has not been raining in my backyard.  We often hear rumbling thunder and see brightly flashing lightening but the rain always seems to fall in someone else's neighborhood.  It has been six weeks since we have had any significant rainfall and my garden is beginning to feel it

Rootbeer plant, today
Most of my garden is made up of perennials which can handle a dry spell because their root systems are deep and well-established.  The annuals have become completely dependent on my hose which I find time consuming and expensive. 

After this length of time, even the perennials are beginning to suffer.  I took photos yesterday of my sad, wilted backyard. 

Angel trumpet, yesterday
Angel trumpet, today
Turks cap, yesterday
All night long, we listened to thunder and watched lightening from afar and then, early this morning, it began to rain.  I think it was the prettiest rain I've ever seen and I'm pretty sure I heard the plants in my garden sighing with relief.  I took photos of the same plants that were wilted yesterday, they much happier this afternoon.  What a difference one day and one half an inch of rain make to my backyard. 


Turks cap, today





No comments:

Post a Comment