Monday, June 6, 2016

More for me

For the first time, I have succeeded in growing beets in my garden.  Beets are a cool weather crop so in years past I've attempted to grow them in the fall.  Beets require consistent watering which is my suspected reason for my inability to grow them during the fall season, generally dry for my backyard.

This April, I discovered a package of beet seeds that I hadn't bothered to plant in October and decided to stick them in the ground to see if they would grow in the spring.   They germinated well, and with a little mulching and some supplemental watering, they have produced some small, but delicious roots and greens.

For reasons that completely baffle me, no one in my family will even attempt to taste them.  I admit that I'm not forcing the issue, their loss just means more beets for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment