Thursday, July 10, 2014

I already miss my blueberries

I harvested my last bowl of blueberries this morning.   I've been picking blueberries every other day for a month--the longest harvest with the most berries I have ever experienced.  I used the berries I picked today to make my favorite blueberry dessert, Blueberry Crunch Bars, to take to my Master Gardener meeting tomorrow.  There are enough berries left to sprinkle on my cereal in the morning.   I've become accustomed to eating blueberries with every meal and will miss having fresh berries in a bowl on my kitchen counter.

There are still some berries on the bushes but they are small and struggling to ripen in spite of my best efforts to keep them fertilized and watered.  I removed my bird deterrents; they will enjoy the leftovers.   I also pruned the shrubs to keep them short enough for me to reach and to open them up to more sunlight. 

There are 12 cups of blueberries in my freezer so I will be enjoying some special blueberry delights while I wait until next June for the blueberries to ripen once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment