Sunday, July 6, 2014

For my Auburn fans

It isn't football season and I'm not a football fan but I'm a huge fan of tiger lilies.  I rescued these lilies years ago when a neighbor dug them up and threw them away.  They have anchored the top of a border garden in my yard for years now and always look fabulous.  They don't mind droughts, floods, heat or cold.  They bloom profusely without any fertilizer, deadheading, or thinning.  

These lilies are Asian but I understand that there is a native wildflower version, although I've never seen it.  Supposedly, the buds are edible and taste something like a potato.  Other parts of the plant are edible too.  I have never tasted them. 

I have created some amazing flower arrangements with them, but learned the hard way that the pollen will fall off on everything and it stains so be careful what you set the vase on. 

If I were an Auburn Tigers fan I would have to grow these lilies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment