Sunday, February 9, 2014

Snake plant blooms

I've already confessed that I do not have much success with house plants, mainly because I forget to water them.  This winter I have been doing better because I have made a deliberate effort to water them weekly, every Sunday morning.  My house plants are rewarding me; some of them look nice and a few of them are actually blooming!

One Sunday morning, while checking on the snake plant that I keep in my husband's office, I noticed a strange stalk-like growth on the outside edge of the plant.  Initially, I thought it might be a weed; the house plants sometimes acquire "friends" during the summer months they spend outdoors.  A closer inspection revealed buds!  I've owned this snake plant for 10 years and it has never bloomed.  I didn't know that snake plants bloomed at all.

In a few days, my snake plant bloomed with lovely, white flowers that were not only beautifully framed against the dark green of the plant, but incredibly fragrant. 

This experience called for research.  What I learned is that snake plants will bloom occasionally.   Conditions required for blooming include a tightly planted container and consistent moisture (not drowning).   My snake plant was thanking me for watering every week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment