Sunday, February 16, 2014

Does anyone else have this one?

Not long ago, I was at school (I'm a substitute teacher) and noticed that the teacher had a plant I had never previously seen hanging in his window.  It looked like a bowl of fuzzy sticks spilling from the container.  I immediately knew that I was going to commit cutting theft.  Noticing that at the "joints" (nodes) of the stems, there were tiny rootlets, I used the scissor from
his desk and snipped a piece of his plant, wrapped it in a damp paper towel and slipped it into my tote bag.  Just so you know, when I saw Mr. Cole again, I confessed to my crime and he forgave me.

When I got home, I gently potted my little sticks and began the wait to see if it would actually root.  Much to my total delight, not only did this little twig root within days, it bloomed in less than a month! 

My little exotic bloomer is a Rhipsalis pilocarpa from Brazil.  According to the plant stake, it comes from Brazil; its water and light requirements are "low."  It looks look a type of succulent to me.

Does any one else have this plant?

No comments:

Post a Comment