Sunday, December 22, 2013

My Christmas flowers

My husband's grandmother had a huge Christmas cactus that bloomed profusely and right on time every Christmas.  I tried to grow one and sometimes got a few scraggly blooms, but never at Christmas time.   Then I tried poinsettias.  I would carefully choose a plant that looked healthy with lots of brightly colored bracts.   Within days of bringing it home, the bracts and leaves would begin falling off so that by Christmas time, I basically had stems with a random leaf attached here and there.

Then a friend brought me a small bromelid one summer.  She told me to keep water in the center of the leaves and let it grow.  Without fail at Christmastime, this bromelid produces this amazing flower show. 

During the summer, I keep my pot outdoors in the shade, only watering it during dry spells.  When the nighttime temps drop below 40 degrees, I set it on a table near a window and wait for Christmas.

Merry Christmas to all of you.  May this time be precious and filled with joy for you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment