Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Why travel?


The ridges, mountains and hillsides of Alabama are a riot of color this week.   I cannot imagine any more diversity, even on the mountains of Tennessee or the more famous northeastern United States.

I have five large trees in my yard, as well as many smaller trees and shrubs.  No two have exactly the same color leaves in November. 

My oak tree is a stately brown, skirted by the flaming red of dogwood trees.   In the backyard, there is a bright yellow silver maple, a burgundy red maple, and a majestic evergreen long leaf pine.  The most spectacular tree right now is the sweet gum tree.  It's leaves turn  yellow, red, orange and purple.  When the wind blows, as it is today, the leaves are an ever-changing kaleidescope of color.   These photos do not do justice to the amazing scene. 

Why travel to see fall leaves when all I have to do is walk out into my own backyard?


No comments:

Post a Comment