Saturday, November 16, 2013

Mulch harvest

Its time to harvest mulch!  In my opinion the best mulches are the ones that God designed--leaves and pine straw.  I have both in my backyard and it is time to rake and mow them all up.  My awesome husband, Bob is my go-to guy for the leaves.  He mows them up and dumps them in my giant mulch pile. 

As huge as my own pile is, this is not nearly enough mulch for my ever-expanding gardens.  My neighbors are generous contributers (although some of them don't know it).  Every weekend, folks in my neighborhood diligently rake, mow and bag hundreds of bags of leaves and pinestraw.  Then I drive around and fill my car with the bags and pile them up in my backyard.  I pay close attention to the types of trees growing in my neighbors' yards as I have definite favorites.

My favorite mulch is pinestraw.  It stays put, lays flat, and spreading perennials can easily grow through it.  I keep pinestraw mulch in a separate location and use it for my front gardens.   My second favorite mulch is the leaves from any non-nut bearing tree.  I prefer to have them chopped up with a mower or mulcher so they will stay put better in the garden.  I will use oak leaves (most of my leaves are oak) but I know I will end up having to weed out lots of baby oak trees in the spring.



No comments:

Post a Comment