Saturday, January 25, 2014

Moss, moss everywhere

Sidewalk moss
My husband and I recently returned from a visit to the Seattle area, where his extended family has lived for many years.  It was my first opportunity to see this beautiful section of our country.

Rooftop moss
The Pacific Northwest is safely nestled between the Olympia and Cascade Mountain ranges with the massive Puget Sound running through the center of the valley.  This unique topography not only shelters it from the storms we think of as typical in the southeast, it creates a moderate climate with many cloudy, foggy, or misty days. 

I was fascinated by the seemingly endless variety of evergreen trees and the postcard-worthy vistas that appeared around nearly every bend in the highway. 

But what made me truly smile, was the moss.  It literally grows everywhere.  I saw trees with their entire structures
Moss lawn
covered in bright green moss.   It grows in flowerbeds and lawns, on sidewalks, parking lots, and rooftops.   Part of normal home and garden maintenance is the removal of moss.  My in-laws tell me it is not difficult, but definitely a nuisance. 

My brother-in-law, Bryan has finally decided to stop trying to remove the moss from his lawn.  He now maintains a moss lawn--it is soft, bright green all year round, and only need occasional mowing.  I thought it was awesome.




No comments:

Post a Comment