Sunday, August 5, 2018

Following in the footsteps of greatness

My son, Rob, recently visited Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson, in Virginia.  He brought me a book about this historic plantation and some seeds that were harvested there. 

While we all studied Thomas Jefferson in school as the writer of our Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson considered himself a farmer and Monticello as his opportunity to learn as much as he could about growing plants.

I was amazed to read that Jefferson was passionate about farming and gardening concepts that we think of as quite modern ideas.  He developed good soil through the application of mulch and compost (manure), loved native plants, used the topography of the land to extend growing seasons, and was willing to try new ideas and plants even if that meant failure occasionally.  He journaled all of his gardening experiences to keep track of his efforts. 

While my backyard is not an Alabama Monticello, I love the idea that I am following in the footsteps of a great American gardener.  I am already looking forward to growing some of his seeds in my backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment